Thursday, April 5, 2012

Enjoying Spring

It has been quite chilly recently, and my tomatoes and eggplants are sheltering in the garage. We have also had high winds which wreak havoc with photography... My roses have stalled, and I see lots and lots of blind growth (new shoots that do not end in a flower). Only a few buds are reluctantly opening, but even so there is a lot of joy to be found in the garden.

Azaleas and spireas are in full bloom now

My Condesa de Sastago, a beautifully colored Pernetiana rose, is growing in a large pot. I think its roots get warmer there, and it is blooming pretty early. The blooms are not always shapely, but the colors are exquisite.



Lady Hillingdon always blooms early too.



Dutch irises adorn one of the beds where nothing much is blooming now. I keep thinking I should plant freesias for early spring blooms (I do have a couple of daffodils already), but somehow I forget. One of these years...




Devoniensis is one of my loveliest roses. The soft colors are wonderful, and so is the powerful fragrance. Mine is the bush form from Vintage and is a fairly vigorous rose.


Elie Beauvilain, a tea-noisette, is peeking over the fence. It is just beginning its spectacular spring display.


Here is the first bloom on Tina Marie, a hybrid perpetual. I am not sure why it is considered to be white because mine is most definitely pink, and striped on top of that :). The striping is soft and pretty and reminds me of its parent, Grandmother's Hat, which also produces striped blooms sometimes.


It is fun to watch little furry peaches growing larger and larger. There is much to look forward to in summer.



22 comments:

  1. We have just the opposite..it has been so warm that the azaleas are already all done. Its been interesting too, because some roses, such as the Lady Banks, haven't known what to do, and sporadically bloomed instead of coming out all at once in late Feb. So weird. All the other earlyish bloomers are out though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nadszedł czas radości dla takiego miłośnika róż, jak Ty. Możesz na nie patrzeć, dotykać, wąchać. My możemy tylko podziwiać je na Twoim cudownych zdjęciach. Pozdrawiam.
    It is time of joy for such a lover of roses, just like you. You can look at them, touch, smell. We can only admire them for your wonderful pictures. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. seems in so many places the warmth turned to chilly weather with winds...here too..everything is stalled...love your blooms

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your roses are gorgeous! I love the picture of the Dutch iris.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely to see roses in April. Thank you for the beautiful pictures. I am still amazed by the hummingbird at the top, by the way, and how you can almost count the feathers on his head.

    CCG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic Roses Masha.
    Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Masha, I enjoyed seeing these spring photos from your garden tremendously :-)! I love, love, love your Devoniensis. It is good to hear that the bush form is vigorous for you, since I have often read that it isn't. The picture of Condesa de Sastago is outstanding, you caught the light so beautifully. 'Tina Marie is very lovely, too. I hardly can see a difference between her and my 'Grandmother's Hat', though. TM is certainly not white. Happy Easter to you and your family!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lady Hillingdon is a stunner! Spring pleasures, indeed! Things are blooming like crazy here, too, and now we're worried about frosts and freezes just when the Lilacs are about to bloom! Crazy, crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Masha ! Beauty all around you ... My tomatoes are waiting too :). Hope to plant them next week ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful flowers!
    Particular, Condesa de Sástago, the color is gorgeous!
    Here all goes slowly ... even my roses are sprouting.
    Greetings from Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your roses. That iris photo is stunning.

    Have a great weekend and a wonderful Easter.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  12. You bloom of Elie Beauvilain is breathtaking. Noisette roses have yet to be added to my garden. This one is going on my list..... Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree the photo of the iris is really special.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my - so many stunning roses I can't possibly pick a favorite! Thanks for sharing the beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Masha, your flowers are lovely. Thank you for these beautiful views of spring... I am tired of the rain and cool weather too....
    Very enchanting pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful pictures, Masha, so special - thank you for sharing them

    ReplyDelete
  17. Liebe Mascha, deine wunderschönen Fotos sind wie die Vorboten auf unseren Rosensommer und ich freu mich schon so sehr darauf. Bis es so weit ist schaue ich mir deine Bilder an. Ein schönes Osterfest und liebe Grüße Annette

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your spring looks so fresh and pretty. That beautiful picture of your Lady Hillingdon is taunting me. Mine got eaten by the caterpillars before I realized it, and am now waiting for her to recover. Elie B is truly giving a spectacular display! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great blog. I love your photography. I wish I could take photos as beautiful as these.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh, I can almost feel that warm sun coming through your photos. That azalea is stunning. My roses are just beginning to leaf out, and I won't see any blooms until late June. But patience is still a virtue, eh?

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you have stopped by!