Sunday, July 27, 2014

Midsummer Roses

It is the end of July, and as always at this time of year, most roses have grown too big and no longer show any sign of ever having been pruned.

Jude the Obscure vying for supremacy with a neighbor's palm tree. I am afraid I know who will win.

The garden is getting out of hand.

Crépuscule embracing a penstemon
I will be busy in the next few days: most climbers need their new canes tied in...

Mme. Bérard

... and rugosa suckers, trying hard to blend in with my perennials, need to be evicted, yet again.

'Purple Pavement' poking its far-reaching tentacles everywhere I look.

Hopefully, it won't be long before visitors stop eyeing my messy garden with disapproval :).


Nevertheless, I have still managed to enjoy the roses' second flush, now mostly over. Despite the heat, some flowers lasted long enough for me to take pictures :) and here they are.

Federico Casas

Goldmoss

Heinrich Wendland


Sir Henry Segrave with Angel Face behind


'Lykke Dazla'

Break o'Day

Rosa californica 'First Dawn' bloom...

...and hips

Souvenir de la Malmaison

Classic Woman

Tiascha, bloom...

...and whole plant, very ungainly

Ulrich Brunner, fils
Snowbird

Zéphirine Drouhin

Beauté de l'Europe

Hermann Lindecke

Prinzessin Marie von Arenberg

A cluster of Penelope looking down on 'Benny Lopez'


Mme. Isaac Pereire

Intermezzo


Basye's Purple Rose looking a bit chlorotic


Jude the Obscure

17 comments:

  1. So beautiful your roses and they all look still so healthy, here we have a lot of black spot this year and I don't like spraying. Jude d'Obscure or Créepuscule come on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Masha
    :o) Maybe we should set up a self-help Group. My garden Looks very untidy at the Moment too. We had so much rain and when finally the sun shines I have to work in the office *grmpf*. Life is hard as a gardener *LoL*. But your roses look stunning like ever, very beautiful.
    Have a great week
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maravilloso, tus fotos son un espectaculo para la vista. Enhorabuena. Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Masha, I wish I could say that my garden is getting out of hand. With the heat we are having it is more like that I have to work hard (aka hand-watering and deadheading a lot) to keep it going. Your rose photos are so beautiful and you always seem to have a new rose variety to show that I didn't know that is growing in your garden. I love your lavenders 'Taischa' and 'Intermezzo', which seem to do so well under your care and 'Sir Henry Segrave' is still tugging at my heart. The blooms of 'Break o'Day' are amazing, too. As always I truly enjoyed reading your post! Warm regards,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  5. My roses haven't gotten started on their crazy octopus end-of-season growth yet, but it will come soon. Good luck braving the stickery arms!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very enjoyable post, as I always love to see which roses are starring in your garden ! Too many beauties to choose a favourite, as they are all gorgeous! I share your pain over an unruly garden, mine is like a garden full of gangly adolescents, all misbehaving ! They have outgrown obelisks, allotted spaces and pots , and seem intent on world domination !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous, gorgeous ... every one! Oh, and the Rose hips -- lovely. Your garden does not look overgrown to me. It looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your roses are wonderful as always Masha! I liked Classic Woman the most, is stunning. All of them look healthy despite of growing in pots. I should think about growing in pots as well, instead of covering rose bushes every winter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a huge fan Masha, as much for the fabulous photography as the blooms themselves. Your blog is a feast for this gardeners eyes! What is the white flowering plant next to Hermann Lindecke?

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many wonderful roses in your garden Masha! I'm with Nadezda, Classic Woman is just beautiful. I look forward to the day when roses start overtaking in my garden :-) .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you!

    The white plant is Cupid's Dart, catananche caerulea. Its more common form is blue, but it comes in white too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All so lovely, in spite of the garden being messy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. your photos are always so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, a rose is a rose, and it is very much. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have the obedient plant, but none of your beautiful roses. It is raining today after a long, dry spell, so my garden will begin to get out of hand, I'm sure. Yours looks fabulous! P. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been editing old blog posts and re-reading comments. In July 2011 you kindly gave some me advice about annual pruning for roses in our mediterranean climate. I've put your comment in today's Wildflower Wednesday post with a few August roses for you.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you have stopped by!